The Oppo Reno5 Pro 5G is the second-best smartphone from the lineup after the Reno5 Pro+ 5G. Being second-best doesn’t mean there anything to scoff at, and everyone looking for an affordable flagship experience should definitely check out the Reno5 Pro and Reno5 Pro+.
The subject of our hands-on review is the Reno5 Pro 5G, and it employs MediaTek’s top-tier SoC for 2020 – the Dimensity 1000+. And aside from the camera setup, the Reno5 Pro 5G checks all the right boxes. It has an HRR OLED panel, a sizeable battery, blazing-fast charging, premium build.
Oppo Reno5 Pro 5G specs at a glance:
- Body: 159.7×73.2×7.6mm, 173g; Glass front, glass back, aluminum frame.
- Display: 6.55″ Super AMOLED, 90Hz, HDR10+, 800 nits (typ), 1100 nits (peak), 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 402ppi.
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6889Z Dimensity 1000+ (7nm): Octa-core (4×2.6 GHz Cortex-A77 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G77 MC9.
- Memory: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM; UFS 2.1.
- OS/Software: Android 11, ColorOS 11.1.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 64 MP, f/1.7, 26mm, 1/1.73″, 0.8µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 115˚, 1/4.0″, 1.12µm; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 32 MP, f/2.4, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps; gyro-EIS, HDR; Front camera: 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS.
- Battery: 4350mAh; Fast charging 65W, Reverse charging, SuperVOOC 2.0.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical), NFC (market dependant), no 3.5mm audio jack.
The good news is that this time around, Oppo seems to have priced this device reasonably.
But before we make any preliminary conclusions, let’s take the Reno5 Pro 5G for a spin and see why we think the Reno5 Pro 5G has its spot in the market and what makes it stand out from the crowd.
Unboxing the Oppo Reno5 Pro 5G
The handset comes in a standard box with the appropriate charger and cable. There’s also a transparent silicone case as a bonus and a pair of USB-C headphones, but no USB-C to 3.5mm dongle.